Criteria for Acceptance
We will look for the following qualities in your work :
- Evidence of innovation, originality and quality
- Evidence of high standards of design and craftsmanship
- A sustained body of work
Method of Assessment
Membership is granted on the basis of recent work submitted to the Membership Selection Committee which meets several times a year.
The Selection Committee consists of at least three Fellows and Members, at least one of whom will work in the same field as you.
You are asked to send 8 images of recent work and you can include additional close ups. These should be sent as photographs, minimum size 7 x 5 in. or a CD of high file size jpeg images together with a thumbnail print out of those images.
You should also include information listing sizes, materials and techniques used and retail prices. Photographs must be of a professional standard as the presentation of your work is very important. Poor or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Benefits of membership include :
- Opportunity to apply to exhibit at the Society's annual Designer Crafts exhibition
- Opportunity to exhibit in our Gallery in London
- A listing with a web link on the Society's website
- Regular e-bulletins and quarterly newsletters, full of Society updates and members' news
- Access to all the Society's activities
- Right to attend and vote at the Society's Annual General Meeting
- Right to use letters MSDC after name as long as membership is retained
Sometimes we prefer to see actual examples of your work. This is particularly helpful when we feel we cannot make an informed judgment on the images alone. If this is the case, we will contact you for a mutually convenient time for you to submit work to our offices at Rivington Street. If we ask you to send work in, you are responsible for its insurance. If you send work in by post please provide sufficient postage for return mailing. If you deliver work to the office you should make arrangements with us for its collection, preferably on the day or assessment.
You will receive the result of your application very shortly after the selection meeting takes place.
If your application is unsuccessful we will explain why we have not accepted your work on this occasion.
These are due annually on 1st February. If successful you will be asked to forward a reduced subscription for the year of your acceptance, with the full annual subscription of £ 70 (seventy pounds) then due the following 1st February. Subscriptions can be paid by Direct Debit, via our Credit Card Terminal, or by cheque.
Download application here