We have a long tradition of and commitment to nurturing emerging and
developing talents in designer craftsmanship. In 1973, we established our
highly successful Licentiate Membership programme, which provides the newly
graduated designer maker with a supportive bridge between being a student and
becoming an established, confident and accomplished designer maker.
Licentiate Membership is not only open to newly graduated makers, but can
also be awarded to people who are setting up in business after a career break
or re-training. Licentiates must fulfill the Society's requirement to
demonstrate exceptional skill and individuality, as well as showing future
creative and commercial potential. This category of membership offers a range
of valuable benefits and opportunities for personal and professional
development through interaction with peers and established members, as well as
the Society's contacts within the designer-craft buying sector.
Benefits of being a licentiate include :
- One-to-one mentoring with an established Society Member or Fellow
- Opportunity to exhibit at the Society's annual Designer Crafts
- Opportunity to exhibit in our Gallery in London
- A listing with a web link on the Society's website
- Regular e-bulletins and quarterly newsletters, full of Society updates
and members' news
- Access to all the Society's activities
- Right to attend and vote at the Society's Annual General Meeting
- Right to use letters LSDC after your name as long as membership is
We look for the following when interviewing for Licentiate membership :
- A personal appreciation of the part craftsmanship plays in the
development of ideas.
- Evidence of a sustaining drive and commitment, and a realistic
understanding of the problems of working as a designer-maker
- An awareness of contemporary design through craftsmanship
A number of those who apply at New Designers or at College for
licentiateship and are successful, will be selected to receive an invitation to
exhibit in the Society's prestigious Mall Galleries Exhibition the following
year. During the exhibition, those who accept the invitation will be considered
for distinction awards and a number of prizes awarded at the exhibition.
How to apply
applications can be submitted to the Membership Secretary.
This route is for those who cannot be seen at either their college or at New
Designers or who may have graduated earlier.
New graduates - during the
annual New Designers exhibition at the Business Design Centre or if you or your
college will not be at New Designers then you may be interviewed by
arrangement at college during the final year show. You may also apply
The annual subscription is £40 and is due annually on 1st
Full details, dates and contacts are on the application
Download application here